Saturday, April 22, 2006

Particle 2.0

Sometimes change is a great thing. Sometimes it's just pretty good.

Particle debuted its new five-man lineup a few weeks back, bringing in Badshoe's Ben Combe and RANA's Scott Metzger to share the guitar load following the dubious departure of Charlie Hitchcock.

I welcomed the move for two reasons: First, I could only appreciate the old Particle in 20-minute doses, and secondably, Metzger is a top-notch shredder in any scene. Combe I'd never heard of previously, but I was anxious to see how these changes would affect my view.

The second coming of Particle is much like the first, only with the occasional lyric and a rock influence from the two new bandmates. I personally think the whole "These guys are a totally different band" label is greatly exaggerated. The same old rave aspects persist, only packaged a little more to the mainstream rock crowd.

Sure, Metzger and Combe are provided opportunities to shred solos previously unseen, and they really do put on a good show. But I wouldn't be ready with my Most Improved Band trophy just yet (it's still being polished anyway). These guys are truly great at what they do, they really are. But, me, I don't love what they do. I just like it.

Onto the pics...The new Particle lineup -- one, two, three, four, five -- take the stage and launch into the first tune of the night:

Adding a rock tinge to the Particle Proceedings, Scott Metzger looks down at the stage before launching into a fine solo.

Particle's glue is Steve Molitz, seen here below fingering the keys:

And below, here's Steve Molitz after his stint in an Afghani rebel camp when he went by the name John Walker Lindh:

Grateful Dead drummer and one-time Particle co-conspirator Mickey Hart drops by to play the calculator. Or the mousetrap. Or whatever the (rhythm) devil that thing is. Nothing like agreeing to sit in with an up-and-coming band and playing a glorified Simon.

The sudden abundance of the classic Rock/Devil Horns at shows these days is borderline mind-blowing. I love it.

Take a bow, Mickey. I think you just did Particle's taxes.

Ben puts down his geetar to sing for a little while. Particle, now with lyrics! (Well, sometimes.)

I just thought this one below was a bit trippy:

Scruffy Ace and Lovely Rachel await the night's festivities...

A good show, a fun show, but it didn't floor me by any means. They hit some really raging peaks that whipped the Particle People into a raving frenzy, but after a while the songs and jams just seemed to sound very similar. Still, it's always nice to see a band having fun on stage, and these guys surely do.

I'm still putting them in the "Great Festival Band" catagory, a fine act for 30 to 45 minutes, and now even better with the new axemen.

Here's a nice, brief video clip of Prince's Let's Go Crazy from the new and improved band. For good measure, here's another, which should illustrate their new sound a bit better.

1 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger write my college essay for me said...

you are growing and shining each and every day dear. yeah, change is very necessary for life, otherwise, we will live like prisoners. thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home